gvSIG mini as one of the 30 best free apps for Android

It’s not me, the guys of TehcRadar have ranked gvSIG mini:

An incredibly comprehensive mapping tool which combines many major online maps like Google, Bing, Open Street Map and more, which will win UK fans for one huge reason alone – it supports the official and recently open-sourced Ordnance Survey data. This means you’re never more than a post code search away from seeing where you are in OS-level detail, which offers much more in the way of accurate local data than other map tools provide.

A lot of kudos for my colleagues of Prodevelop who are doing an amazing job bringing to the android and J2ME community a great application but also a free software available to anyone under the GPL license.

If you don’t know what gvSIG mini is, take a look on this video and see what it can do for you on a regular Android phone:

About Jorge

I'm a geogeek living near Valencia, Spain. I work on geomatics and I try to have fun with technology and free software.
This entry was posted in english, gvSIG mini. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to gvSIG mini as one of the 30 best free apps for Android

1. Fran says:

My congratulations (y de paso mis felicitaciones 😉 ) to gvSIG mini people (can we call them “the minimoids”??

2. Jorge says:

jajajaja for sure, but Rubén and Alberto are both >1.90 so be careful about calling them minimoids face to face

🙂

3. anaximander says:

I just got this app myself – having access to OS map data (UK) is really helpful; I spend a fair amount of time in areas that Google Maps just shows a large blank expanse of green! The only gripe I have is the lack of multitouch pinch-zoom like in the stock map app, but that’s pretty minor compared with the hugely useful data. Nice work, guys!

• Jorge says:

Thanks!!

You’re lucky, if everything goes as expected, next version of gvSIG Mini will support multitouch and a brand new feature you will love… stay tuned!!

4. Ryan says:

I dont like using multitouch, kudos for a regular zoom button!

5. Han says:

I’m new to gvSIG,and I want to know how to build a develop enviroment under eclipse.

6. Jorge says:

You should look at the documentation available (are you meaning gvSIG mini??) and then ask at the gvSIG-devel mailing list at https://lists.forge.osor.eu/listinfo/gvsig-desktop-devel for any further advice.

Hope it helps

7. jethro says:

great app,
    can i customise the map list to just show my favourites ?
    jethro

8. Fabiola says:

HI all!!i bought my mobile phone in China and it has restrictions from the factury to access google play…(and i´m not a nerd as i wish!)…Dou you have another platform where i can download gvSIG mini maps? best regards,Fabíola