In this post you can find a link compilation of “Learn GIS for free” course. A complete course to map your data with open source GIS: explore GIS tools, learn concepts and terminology of spatial analysis, learn how to analyze data, symbolize data and make your own maps, how to work with projections, vectorial and raster data, etc.
The course is recommended to everyone who hasn’t worked on GIS and want to introduce to this type of technologies, as well as users that have knowledge about it already and want to increase it.
The course is made on gvSIG 2.1 version, and currently the last version is gvSIG 2.3.1 (we are working on the new 2.4 version already). We recommend you to use the last version published because it will have all the functionalities of the previous versions… and several improvements too.
gvSIG Desktop is completely free to download, use and share.
It’s usual to have doubts when you follow the course. If you want to solve them you can use the users mailing list, available at this link: http://www.gvsig.com/en/community/mailing-lists
To follow the course you need:
- gvSIG Desktop, that you can download here: http://www.gvsig.com/en/products/gvsig-desktop/downloads
- Data used in the “vectorial GIS” exercises, available from http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/documents/learning/gvsig-courses/cartography/Learn_GIS_Data.zip
- Data used in the “raster GIS” exercises, available from: http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/documents/learning/gvsig-courses/cartography/Raster_data.zip
- Module 1: Introduction to GIS
- Module 2: Working with Views
- Module 3: Working with Tables
- Module 4: Working with Maps
- Module 5: Creating and Editing vectorial layers
- Module 6: Geoprocessing
- Module 7: Raster GIS. Working with Raster Data
- Module 8: Vegetation index and unsupervised classification
- Module 9: Raster reclassification and raster calculator
- Module 10: Digital Elevation Model analysis
- Extra Module: GPS and mobile GIS