If we get an error in gvSIG, the most recommendable thing is to send it to the users mailing list of the project, where there’s a huge group of users, and developers can reply directly too.
Before sending the error to the mailing list we can check if any user has got it previously and it has been solved. Many times it’s the same error got by other users and the solution has been told at the mailing list. For that, we can see the archives of the mailing list: http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/gvSIG-users-f4102847.html and look for our problem at the upper right-hand corner (indicating only to search at the gvSIG users mailing list).
What to send to the users mailing list
In case we don’t find the solution at the archives of the mailing list we will send the mail to the list (it’s necessary to register previously from http://listserv.gva.es/mailman/listinfo/gvsig_internacional). To find the causes of the error easily we have to:
- Indicate at the subject of the e-mail the tool where we have got the error and the gvSIG version (for example, “gvSIG 2.1: Error opening a project” or “gvSIG 2.2: Error at the Merge geoprocess”), in order to get an answer as soon as possible.
- Tell in detail the steps that have been followed before the error (in case it has happened when opening or saving a project, more information has to be provided as much as possible about what layers there were and how they had been created).
- Attach the next files (it’s recommendable to zip them in an only .zip file, in order to reduce their size):
- gvSIG.log: This file is removed every time gvSIG is opened, so we must send it before opening a new gvSIG session. If we are working on the same session for a long time, several gvSIG.log files will be created (with a number at the end, gvSIG.log.1, gvSIG.log.2…). We must attach all of them.
- .gvsproj project file: In case the problem has been when opening or saving a project.
The first three files are at the gvSIG folder of the user one in our computer, that will be different depending on the operating system:
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and settings\[user]\gvSIG
- Windows Vista, 7 and 8: C:\Users\[user]\gvSIG
- Linux: /home/[user]/gvSIG
If we have the portable version, the file will be at the /home/gvSIG folder of the gvSIG installation folder.
If it’s a very concrete error, like a geoprocess or opening a project, that can be replicated easily, it’s recommendable to close gvSIG, open it again, follow only the steps until the error, and close gvSIG, in order to reduce the gvSIG.log file and make the error detection easy. At this way, the file will contain only the information related to the error.
Registering at the mailing list
To send e-mails to the mailing list we must register previously from http://listserv.gva.es/mailman/listinfo/gvsig_internacional.
We can change our preferences later if we don’t want to receive the e-mails. We will be able to send the doubts to the list, and consult replies from
Apart from the errors, doubts and suggestions can be sent to the users mailing list too. There’s also a developers mailing list (http://joinup.ec.europa.eu/mailman/listinfo/gvsig-desktop-devel, and the archives of this list is available in http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/gvSIG-developers-f4175719.html).